• Negative numbers: any numbers to the left of zero on a number line.
• Numbers increase in value as we move up/right on a number line.
• Opposite numbers: numbers with the same distance from 0, but on the opposite side of a number line.
• To find an opposite number, we attach a negative sign to the given number.
• Two LIKE signs give a positive sign.
• Two UNLIKE signs give a negative sign.
Introduction to Negative Numbers and Opposite Numbers
Understanding Negative Numbers
For each of the following pair of integers, which integer has a greater value?
Analyzing Opposite Numbers
Fill in the following table:
Solving Opposite Numbers Graphically and Algebraically
Find the opposite of the given numbers:
i. Graphically (using a number line)
Negative numbers and opposite numbers
Don't just watch, practice makes perfect.
We have over 670 practice questions in Basic Math for you to master.