Converting between decimals and fractions
Everything You Need in One Place
Homework problems? Exam preparation? Trying to grasp a concept or just brushing up the basics? Our extensive help & practice library have got you covered.
Learn and Practice With Ease
Our proven video lessons ease you through problems quickly, and you get tonnes of friendly practice on questions that trip students up on tests and finals.
Instant and Unlimited Help
Our personalized learning platform enables you to instantly find the exact walkthrough to your specific type of question. Activate unlimited help now!
Make math click 🤔 and get better grades! 💯Join for Free
- Introduction to converting between decimals and fractions:
- What are the different ways to show decimals?
- What are decimal fractions?
- How do we convert between decimal fractions and decimals?
- What are leading and trailing zeroes?
- What are equivalent decimal fractions?
- What are non-decimal fractions and how do we convert them into decimals?
- How do we show decimal fractions using base ten (block) models?
- Converting between decimals and decimal fractions
Recall that decimal fractions are fractions with denominators that are powers of 10 (ex. 10, 100, 1000, etc.).
- Equivalent tenth and hundredth decimal fractions
Fill in the chart to understand equivalent tenths and hundredths:
- Converting between decimals and non-decimal fractions
Recall that non-decimal fractions are fractions with denominators that are NOT powers of 10 (i.e. any other numbers besides 10, 100, 1000, etc.)
- Writing fractions from base ten (block) models
Write the decimal and fraction represented by the shaded parts of each base ten (block) model:
- Decimals and fractions word problem:
Jimmy and his friends are drinking juice together. After 10 minutes, they measure how much juice they each have left over in their cups and turn those amounts into decimal fractions. Who changed their decimals into fractions correctly?